CAN ANYBODY STOP HIM?
Date: 12/4/15 | Host Club: Southern District Motorsport Association Inc
With over 2 inches of rain in the week leading up to the Canberra event, some worried faces on the SDMA organising committee emerged. But as the day of the event came around, Canberra turned on a fabulous autumn day which allowed competitors 5 runs of the track.
The competition for the outright honours started early with Tim Edmondson (Gould GR55B)setting an impressive 39.81s on his first run. Malcolm Oastler (OMS 28) got on pace with his second run and lowered the bar to 37.59s. This was also a new outright record.
With a spin in the esses on run 3 it was becoming clear that Tim couldn’t stay with Malcolm and only managed a 38.48s to be second outright at the end of the day. Oastler then managed to lower his best run to 37.49s -Fastest Time of The Day!
Kevin Lewis (Dallara F3) managed only three runs throughout the day but finished with an impressive 42.75 to be third outright. Local driver, Zac LeLievre continues to impress in his Westfield Megabusa and was next on 42.98s.
The fastest tin top and fifth outright was David Isaacs (Evo) on 43.72s, closely followed by Phil Pratt (Trojan), Peter Brown (BAP Clubman) and Michael Hill in his skyline GTR on 44.79s.
Matt Halpin (Torana) was next with Brodie Tilbrook, in his Historic Elwyn Formula Ford rounding out the top ten.
As usual Road Registered classes were well subscribed and tightly contested with a strong showing from local drivers (with local knowledge – I guess they had an advantage!!).
In Non log book RR over 2500cc, local championship registered driver Anthony Hyde set a new record of 46.48. In the under 2500cc class Nick Elson also set a new record of 46.46 on his last run of the day. All in all, 11 new class and outright records were set.
A fabulous day was had by all, with no major incidents. There were a few stoppages as the kangaroos wanted to join in the fun but these were expertly chased away by the local volunteers.
Thanks to the major sponsor of the event Reliance Automotive Services. Also a huge thank you to all the volunteers on flag points, grid marshals, car chockers and kangaroo chasers.
Chris Hardy – President Southern District Motorsports Association Inc
- We are indebted to SDMA President, Chris Hardy for his help in compiling the round report.
- Ominous Postscript Department: A further comment from Malcolm Oastler following the event: “Another great day with SDMA. One day I’ll do a decent lap in this car, and we’ll all find out how fast it is.”
- An amazing number of records were set, including:
– New Outright: M Oastler 37.49s
– F Vee 1600cc: Col Merz 46.94s
– 2A Open/Closed Sports up to 1600cc: Zac LeLievre 42.98s
– Late model Improved Prod: Peter Dixon 46.97s
– Sports Sedans over 3l: David Isaacs 43.72s
– Historic Grp F: Brodie Tillbrook 45.85s
– RRNL under 2.5L: Nick Elson 46.46s
– RRNL over 2.5L: Anthony Hyde 46.48s
– NRRNLB over 2.5L: Rob Black 47.09s
- I am told that Terry Bennett and the crew were looking suitably professional in the new timing tower!
Editors notes by Alan Barlow – NSW Hillclimb Championship Website Editor
Please visit the event sponsors Link below.
Courtesy: Eileen Barlow – ebarlowphotos.com
None submitted to Youtube at time of writing. Please email the website editor if you would like your Youtube video Link from this event to be added to this page.